Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Be Informed About DACA

So much has been said about DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals).  I've seen school institutions send out letters assuring students that they are safe.  I've seen celebrities post heartfelt and in my opinion, intelligent reflections in support of DACA. And on the other side of the coin, I've heard disdain for the program mainly complaining about following the law, defending jobs, and protecting citizens from criminals.  Since the election this past November, I've learned that it doesn't matter what facts are told to those that have taken a stand--either way.  If you support the government wholeheartedly and without question, I have to admit I have a hard time relating or understanding you.  But I can be open-minded to the idea that most people have the best of intentions and have no desire to hurt their fellow human beings. I have no interest in addressing the racists, misogynists, xenophobes...and all those with similar ideologies except to say, I wholeheartedly stand against you. With that in mind, I wanted to throw in my personal support for the DACA program and share what I know about it.
DACA participants are contributing members of society.

DACA participants contribute more to the government than they receive or are eligible for. Before standing in judgement and calling someone "illegal", please endeavor to see these individuals as human beings.  They have lived in this country their whole lives, have assimilated into the culture and may not have any knowledge of their country of origin (lifestyles and/or language).  Like I said, I'm not trying to convince anyone who stands in support of rescinding this bill.  I'm just trying to share what I know & what I believe.  It's my hope that I help spread some compassion for human kind...that every person has a story and every person deserves the chance to be heard.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment