Friday, June 18, 2021

Don't Doubt Your Worth

I've heard some crazy assumptions and unkind things said about me from even way back in elementary school, then as a parent at two small knit communities and then from others in our lives. I don't willingly attract or welcome these crazy energies (at least not intentionally), but I also don't make much of an effort to make corrections about gossip because ultimately it is no one's business but my own.  And if people are willing to believe what "they've heard", then that is their prerogative. The saying that you can only control how you react to things has been my guide in life.

When I was at the delicate age of 8th Grade, I fell victim to some class bullying and apparently, there was a rumor that my best friend at the time and I were lesbian. As an adult, of course, those rumors would never bother me because, first, I see nothing wrong with someone's sexual orientation & second, it's either true or untrue & in this case, it's untrue. It wasn't the rumor itself that hurt, it was the fact that untrue things were being said about me with unkind intentions. I didn't choose to be heterosexual.  I just am. And today, I consider myself an ally to the LGBTQ community. Love is love and I hope people find it in their lives.

When we decided to move our children in their 3rd & 5th grades from one elementary school to another, there was apparently a rampant rumor that we moved due to the firing of a music teacher.  Although, we didn't agree with the events that went down, our actual decision was so much more than that one event.  We would never make a decision that strongly affects our boys based on one thing--it will always be a well-thought out plan of action that includes pros and cons.  That's just the way The Huz and I operate. Moving our boys was the right thing to do. And I've never regretted that decision and on the contrary, feel blessed by the courage I had to gather in order to uproot the boys from what felt like a comfortable yet toxic environment. The new location, with its similar small community, had it's own issues and was far from perfect, but it still felt like that's where we needed to be.  And I felt like because I had learned so much from previous experiences, I just let those crazy energies surround me instead of penetrate me.  I feel the most content and happy when I just keep my head up and steady, focusing on my family.

I've learned over the years to follow my instincts about people and be choosy about who surrounds my energy most frequently (because it's difficult to completely avoid toxicity).  It has caused me to disengage or simply cut-off people that don't serve to bring joy and light into my life. With all that being said, I still choose to be kind to others because I think it's very possible to do that and be kind to yourself.

And if people choose to participate in gossip (and they will), it's ok. Just choose what makes you happy and what is the correct path in YOUR journey. As I dispense that advice, I'm also still a work in progress...

As always, wishing everyone light & love! XOXO 😘

 


gifts for grads  

No comments:

Post a Comment