Thursday, January 20, 2022

Sustainable Gift-Giving Intentions

Great, zero to no-waste, gift giving ideas.

Over the years, I've struggled with gift-giving because I just felt the whole concept was "too much". I want to give meaningful, practical gifts while not spending unnecessary amounts of money as well as contributing to waste and clutter. And I don't want to contribute to superfluous excess. Fortunately our gift obligations only fall to one side of our family (the other side celebrates through food & company without gifts) and the list isn't too long. I'm in awe at the long lists I know others have...I empathize with those that have anxiety over it.  Lately, and probably more so in the future, I'm more inclined to give group gifts...like a food basket or a craft basket. I embrace the idea of consumable gifts like food and non-physical things like "an experience".  

My sincere intentions are still there...I want the gift receiver to like and enjoy what they're given and I still want them to feel that they are thought of fondly. That's the most important part of gift-giving that is sometimes lost in the consumerism of it all. Some years, along the way, I've felt so much pressure to give just the right "expensive" gift and feeling like whatever we're bringing might not be enough. 

Gradually through the years, I've been more intentional about my gift-giving: consumables like a pasta gift basket,a variety of teas, unique coffee (I was thrilled to receive those this year), a box of chocolates, popcorn treats, those kinds of things. Experiences like restaurant or movie gift certificates seem impersonal, but they're designed to help someone have an experience that they might not have taken on themselves. I also like giving bath, body, and beauty products. To be fair, the gifts I've been choosing to give are also gifts I would appreciate as well.  We've even gone to a restaurant this year we wouldn't have ordinarily gone to had we not received a gift card. My family also loves those chocolate and cookie tins that are readily available during the holidays.  They're festive and delicious, even if they often fall in the "guilty pleasure" category. And none of these things are big ticket items that can potentially break someone's bank, and if they are, please refrain from the whole process of gift giving altogether. I wish we could normalize just basking in the happiness of the holiday(s) being celebrated without having to spend money or time that may cause undue stress. 

Lastly, a simple greeting of well wishes goes a long way.  I love when people wish me whatever holiday greetings they prefer, just a nice text will do.  It means a lot and a positive and sincere sentiment will always be something I cherish. Nothing is better than a kind heart.  And I wish everyone light & love. 😘

  photography gifts   Mid-Year Extravaganza, The Big Sale Is Here! All Colored Contacts Get 25% Off!

No comments:

Post a Comment