Monday, January 4, 2021

Imperfectly Living a Lower Waste Lifestyle

Our family has always been pretty good with low food waste; buying perishables we know we can consume before expiration dates and having an adequately stocked rotated pantry with hardly anything going to waste. It's an ongoing activity though, and it requires diligently being aware what's ready to be consumed and planning meals around them. As the primary food preparer in my family, I have a solid system and I'm pretty proud of our very minimal food waste. 

 

In the last couple of months of 2020, I've been drawn to the idea of a simple, more minimal lifestyle and de-cluttering concept. There are many helpful YouTube posts that offer inspiration and offer practical tips to move towards this way of life. My goal in the coming months is to slowly let go of clothes I don't want or need.  Sounds like a simple task, but I have a hard time parting with my belongings because I'm one of those "what if I need it" people. I aim to break out of that & just release things, even if it's one item here & there every few days or so.  I also plan to be more conscious & intentional about everything I buy--from pants to shoes.  I don't need that many.  I'm just going to say that again.  I don't need that many. 

Here are some of my favorite YouTube channels dedicated to the idea of simple living: 

Ashlynne Eaton

The Minimal Mom 

Sarah Therese

Gittemary Johansen

Remember that these folks are just examples or inspirations toward a more simple, waste free lifestyle. A little at a time or simple swaps here and there are worthy goals. For me personally, I know that being completely a minimalist just wouldn't work especially since I live in a household of collectors. I refuse to dictate others' spending habits or overall consumption.  For me, just making sure that we utilize reusables, continue to be a relatively low-waste household and controlling my own intake of material possessions is what I choose to focus on. Perfection is not a goal. 

Be kind to yourself. Sending light & love out there. Make it a good one! 😘

Click to shop for reusable straws and other eco-friendly products!

 

  Eufy Security 2022 New Year Sale  invitations

No comments:

Post a Comment