Tuesday, December 29, 2020

If You're Made Aware It's Offensive, Stop It

I'm kind of a sensitive person. I say "kind of" because over the years, I've readjusted my reactions to many things and I don't necessarily let things get to me as much as they used to. The many life advice/self-help articles I often read and quick inspiration memes on my Social Media feeds (yes, I love those! LOL)  also have encouraged me to a stronger realization that reactions are a choice. I can choose to let something severely offend and negatively affect me, or I can take it in stride and move forward. 

With all that maturity and growth being said, I still feel hurt emotions when something hits me the wrong way or I feel malicious intent from someone's words or actions. And these feelings are all valid and make me the whole human being that I am. So, even as I try to control what range of emotions negatively affect me, I also feel that empathy toward other people's feelings round out the type of person I'm ultimately and continuously working towards.

The other day, I had a conversation with someone about cultural appropriation. Personally, I've had a hard time truly grasping this concept because it's something that I don't fully relate with as an offensive concept. My experience comes from being an immigrant Filipino American and I don't have the personal history of being directly oppressed in the way other cultures have.  So for me, I'm delighted when someone from a different ethnic background cook or eat our cultural food, or dance our native dances (even I can't do those dances justice) and I'd be tickled with pleasure to see someone who is not Filipino sport our traditional Barong Tagalog

But I've been informed that not all appropriation is welcome. For instance, Native Americans have expressed offense at their native clothing and dances being used as costumes. It is their culture. They live it and do not want it portrayed in that way. So, if you have that "costume" in your closet, maybe it's time to throw that out. You've been "schooled".  Or you can continue to wear it, but know that it is offensive.  Make your choice. 

We are accountable for our behavior.  How we treat people is a reflection of who we are. Make an effort not to offend. It's the decent thing to do. 

 As usual, sending light & love out to the universe! XOXO😘

  Children

No comments:

Post a Comment