Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Gratitude for the Daily Uses (Appliance Edition)

As I started out the year intentionally deciding to de-clutter my personal things and making a choice not to purchase new things unless absolutely necessary (focusing on simplicity rather than minimalism), we also started to re-evaluate our major appliances and decided that after some twenty plus years, we had to update our stove, our washer & create a new office space for The Huz. The process of choosing, finding good deals and acquiring these upgrades comes with some enjoyment, but we also hit some snags.  Without getting into specifics, some things didn't go as planned and we had to course correct & frankly, we're still hitting some bumps as we continue to complete one of the projects. We also have a list of growing home projects down the line to improve our living space that feel necessary and about time. It can and does become overwhelming, but I'm overall thankful and choosing to focus on the positive.

All these occurrences and especially the moments when it feels like things aren't going the way I want them to, is when I feel it most necessary to go over what makes me feel thankful. Of course, there are the big things I'm always thankful for such as The Huz and my two boys who bring me so much joy--they are permanently part of my gratitude rituals. I'm also thankful for the health & well-being of our extended loved ones. Honestly, these are truly, truly what I consider the big things--the most important blessings and everything else is truly just extra (cream cheese) icing on the cake.😊  

That being said, I also have to give some attention to the things around my house that make life easier and enjoyable & I'm thankful for these things.  

  • Stove: The oven broke on my old one and two of the burners stopped working. So, I made due with two burners to prepare stove top meals for a while. It was no big deal and I just adjusted to it. But when I recently got the new one, I became hyper aware of the benefits of having additional burners and an oven that works. It's easy to take it for granted, but every time I take a casserole dish out of the oven or fresh baked biscuits, I find myself saying a "thank you" under my breath for the privilege of its use. 
  • Slow Cooker:  I seriously have made so many meals with this handy dandy kitchen appliance. It's the best way to incorporate vegetables into our diet because you can pretty much just throw it in for soups and stews, seasoning it in whatever ways that one finds delicious. Just a little bit of prep work and the device does all the work. Again, making an effort to not take this favorite appliance for granted.
  • Rice Cooker: We consume rice, if not necessarily daily, pretty close to it. And this appliance makes life super easy because all I have to do is wash it, put the right amount of water, set it & practically forget it.  It won't burn the rice since it turns off automatically and makes my life a heck of lot easier. 
  • Refrigerator and top loading freezer: They sit side-by-side in my kitchen and although it is often taken for granted, I'm thankful they are there to store our food. I want to make sure I give them some gratitude attention because never is their value more glaring as when one doesn't have one or they break down somehow. They're amazing appliances and again, I'm thankful for them. 
  • Microwave: Thanks for making heating meals faster & easier.
  • Toaster: Thank you for making toasting bread a no-brainer.
  • Air Fryer: Thankful for the newest member of my kitchen arsenal for making things delicious and crispy without adding any oil. This was a Christmas gift from a family member and again, I express gratitude. I'm still finding new things to cook in it so those discoveries are super fun. 
  • Hand-held can opener: I had one recently break on me (one I had for a long time) so I went out and bought a new one and realized how much I appreciate this little guy.
  • Washer: Without this appliance, I'd have to wash clothes by hand. Sigh.  That would be a real drag. So, I'm ultra thankful for this wonder of wonders. 
  • Hand-held vacuum: Truthfully, my First-born is the main user of this one, but I'm thankful that he does and that it works great to help with the overall cleaning of our space. 

There are more things around the house that make life easier that are often taken for granted, but you get the idea.  Having these things are a privilege and are causes for gratitude. They really are.  And when I feel like there's a bump in our journey, I'm going to make an effort to remember what I'm thankful for. It helps put things in perspective. Super thankful for life! Sending light & love out to all of you! XOXO 😘 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment