Thursday, September 9, 2021

Following The Rules To Be Kind

I've had many breakfasts at this establishment over the years. And I'm thankful they exist. It's a place to have delicious breakfast sandwiches, coffee and various baked goods. They're local and an ideal place to meet up with friends as I've done many times. 

When I read the above post I immediately feel the desperation in their words. To reach the point of feeling like they needed to post something, they would have had to reach a breaking point--the kind of harassment that felt the necessity to speak up. And I feel much empathy and anger on their behalf. 

The pandemic has not only been a difficult situation for many, but it's also been polarizing--some believing that it's somehow a world-wide hoax.  If it is, it's the most organized hoax there ever is, to have every country cooperate and continue to perpetuate it--to have hospital and medical professionals reiterate the causes of death and inflate hospitalization numbers. Anything is possible, I guess.  So you are free to believe what you want. Of course you are. It's marvelous to be able to say, "in my opinion..."   

But as a society we create order through rules with the intention of protecting the group as a whole. For example, cities enact speed limits on highways & even stricter speed limits in school zones. Drivers are not free to drive as fast as they want in these areas or they will be subject to consequences. Again, people are free to disagree of the effectiveness of speed limits and they can express these feelings to whomever want to listen, but it is what it is and if one chooses to speed, they will receive a costly ticket and/or other outcomes. 

We are in a pandemic.  Yes, I know some people may disagree.  So, naturally, wearing a mask as an additional barrier to help slow or stop the spread of a "faux" virus is something they strongly disagree with.  I've heard it.  I know it.  But how we behave in this society is a choice. You can absolutely & totally refuse.  You can fight every business that chooses to follow the states' mask mandates.  You have every right to yell and scream and cause trouble for workers at businesses.  

But wow, that's truly truly on you as a human being when you choose to cause trouble for people who are just trying to continue going about their business--trying to stay open and do the best they can in the most difficult situation.  They may even not agree with the mandates themselves--but they want to keep their businesses open.  And some just truly want to keep themselves and their employees as safe as they can.

Freedom includes not supporting businesses you disagree with if that's what aligns with your personal integrity.  Rather than coming into an establishment and causing them problems, go somewhere else (if you look hard enough, there are a good handful of businesses with like minds to any situation) or make your own coffee and baked goods, shop online (where masks are not required) etc... Stay true to yourself, but do it kindly. 

Some businesses exhibit sassy energy to counteract the vocal push-backs with their rules.

 

There is too much toxicity in the world right now especially in politics.  Name-calling is the norm and if you belong from different political parties, you are each others' enemies. Morality, integrity, decency and overall character is questioned. I'm no exception--I've done my fair share of judging others. But lately, I've fallen back from this mindset.  I've decided that politics is not going to be WHO I am.  For some individuals, their political beliefs are a defining characteristic of who they are--they live and breathe it. Admittedly, my beliefs do lean towards one party...but that party doesn't encompass everything that I believe in.  I don't have rose-colored glasses to the corruption and propaganda from BOTH parties. AND I don't believe there is ONE answer to all the problems existing in society or one political party that holds all the said answer or answers. 

Mask, no-masks, vaccinations, no-vaccinations.  So freakin' polarizing. But humanity -- caring for others. Taking a step back and focusing on kindness and how we treat others around us--that's what I want to focus on.  That's the type of person I want to be. 

So, that being said.  When a business says, put on a mask, put it on.  Otherwise, find another business to patronize. That's the kind thing to do. 

As always, wishing light & love out to the universe and into your lives. XOXO 😗

 

No comments:

Post a Comment