Monday, September 20, 2021

Selective Sharing: Privacy is Not the Same as Secrecy

This is a post on Social Media

Ultimately, whatever you decide to post is your choice and honestly people will judge your life through their eyes and make assumptions whenever or wherever they choose. Honestly, I've been the most entertained by the over-sharers on my timeline and I've often cringed at how much someone will reveal about their personal life. Again, I'm not the posting police and feel that you have the right and the prerogative to post as much and as little about your life as you deem fit.  But my personal opinion is "less is more".  You can post about your life without revealing too much, and being a social media enthusiast myself, I find it a satisfying challenge to find those "postable" parts of our lives without giving viewers more than what's consciously and deliberately intended for sharing.

An old co-worker used to post many entries regarding her husband--their romance, how much they mean to each other and so on. Then she started posting cryptic entries like "finding herself" or wanting to "travel alone".  As a "reader" it was clear something different was going on in her life. After some time, she then posted she was single and that she wants to preserve her privacy and feels that she doesn't have to share anything she doesn't want to. Ok.  I mean, of course, she's allowed to post whatever she wants.  But talk about a let-down for some of us who felt invested in the "story" of her life.  Again, I'm just being cheeky in that she doesn't owe any of us an explanation of her life.  She shared what she shared and now she doesn't want to.  But I wonder if she has regrets?  Plus, I believe she unfriended most people...even myself who offered no comment on her life.  I'm not sure what her reasoning was on that, but she certainly has that right. But I can't help but speculate that deleting friends may have much to do with regrets she felt for posting too much of her life.

Most recently, an old high school peer started posting entries that alluded to her husband stepping out of their marriage.  The posts dominated my timeline for a bit and although I was wondering what was happening, I also felt uncomfortable that she was displaying her life so freely.  After some time, she posted that her husband had come home and they were "working it out".  Shortly after that, she started posting about how great her family life had become, how attentive her husband was being and that they were planning to renew their vows.  As much as I try not to, you know I was all over the place judging her. But she chose to post what she did (and is continuing to post) so I guess it just comes with the territory.  I'm not sure how her story will unfold, but what she has shared in the past & what she will continue to share in the present and future will follow her whether she may want them to or not. As an unintentional voyeur of her life, I can only hope that she only has positive things to post about her relationship from here on out. Although truthfully as a judging human, I don't have many positive things to feel about a man in a committed relationship who cheats. 🚫

When all is said and done, you decide what you want to share with anyone or everyone.  That being said, I would also like to encourage more mindful choices in what one posts.  You can be private about some things and open about other things.  The reader doesn't know.  They take in whatever is put out.  And once it's put out there, even if deleted, can never be taken back. If even one person sees it, the damage is done. Trust me, I've seen people post something in anger and haste, take it down and still be severely judged for it (even if they don't realize it).

Be guided by kindness, especially to yourself.  Sending light & love! 😘

Save on Party Favors @ Beau-coup.com

No comments:

Post a Comment