Wednesday, September 1, 2021

My Memory Bank is Rich with Gratitude

This summer felt important.  The Youngest was going to be a Junior and the First-Born was heading to University. Major milestones.  I didn't want to think too much about it--some would probably say I was in denial.  Ok.  I was.  The speed of time never felt more overwhelming than at this time in my life.  

Because of the pandemic (and some home improvements we had scheduled), we didn't plan any travel destinations.  We felt comfortable with the little excursions, staying fairly local and sticking to what many refer to as "staycations".  We did Disneyland Resort for a couple days staying at an off-property hotel, we did a dinner & show, we watched several movies, went to lunches and dinners, and just generally spent time being together (and lifting each others' spirits when we needed it).  We're fortunate enough to genuinely enjoy each others' company and this particular summer in general I wanted to bask in their company. I love all of our big activity/travel memories, but I also cherish the ordinary moments--the conversations, the laughs, the teasing, the hugs--all special to my full Mom-heart.  

The day The Youngest went to his High School Junior Orientation was pretty much the unofficial, official start to breaking out of the summer mode and facing the reality of the milestone changes ahead. He received his school I.D., his textbooks and his class schedule--in a week's time, he would begin his 11 Grade life journey.

The First-Born was gathering all his things for dorm move-in. But before all that he attended the college honors program, received a super nice water bottle & got a good look at the building he was going to be residing in just a couple of days. And then the day arrived--Move-In Day. 

It was a calm yet emotional day. We pretty much helped him move his things in, had a nice dinner with him, stopped by Target for some last-minute items and spent quality time with him before we finally had to leave. More than a farewell, it was a "see you soon", since he isn't too far away. Plus, thanks to modern technology, we have instant texts, phone calls & Skype. But yes, my heart hurts.  That's my baby I'm leaving to fend for himself. My love for him is exponential & I wish him all the joy, self-fulfillment and success that is meant for him. I pray for him. I cheer him on.
We had a pleasant & delicious dinner at a local Ramen restaurant very close to the First-Born's University.

The First-Born sent a selfie for his first day of actual classes. 💛

The Youngest started Junior Year (11th Grade) High School as well. It was a good day but he was understandably tired. Back to the grind.

It's been eventful in our household and I've been trying to feel every moment, appreciate it all and understand how special and significant events large and small are. I have just the best memories with my family and I pray for many more to deposit into my memory bank. 

Wishing everyone a heart full of gratitude and love & light. XOXO

 

No comments:

Post a Comment