Tuesday, April 19, 2022

My Encounter With a (Walking Dead) Twitter Troll

I've always considered myself a contributor of positivity on social media.  For me that's simply focusing on subjects I enjoy while scrolling over things that I dislike or feel negative emotions over. I don't often engage in debates and especially make the most effort to stay away from what has become the ugliness of politics. Twitter, for me, is a way to express my feelings and I generally intentionally choose to share what I deem interesting, fun or useful information. I don't seek out conflict.  Being in some arbitrary spat with someone behind an anonymous screen (or in real life for that matter) does not bring me any kind of joy. 

That being said, I was engaged in a Twitter back-and-forth after I made a strong emotional opinion comment on a storyline from the show Walking Dead. It's strictly my opinion and doesn't degrade real life people--only make-believe characters on a make-believe show. I did include a cheeky hashtag--#WritersSuck--mostly to stress how much I dislike the storyline. If there's a better way to express that, I will certainly find one moving forward. Needless to say, I don't enjoy this show as much as I used to. The Huz was a fan of the beginning seasons and we've stayed watching out of some weird goal for completion. But again, that's just an opinion. If you enjoy it, then you enjoy it. 🤷

He blocked his responses at first but then opened them up again so I quickly took a screenshot for posterity. 

So this "Harry" felt the need to point out to me that the character of "Glen" is not real.  But then proceeds to mention the actor's name in his response...seemingly to make the point that the character is not real.  But I never referred to the actor.  I never exhibited (at least I don't believe so) to have issues with discerning the difference between was is real and what is make-believe. In fact, my in retrospect not-so-kind hashtag of #WritersSuck illustrates that I am aware that the aforementioned character is indeed fictional.
 

Evidently, with my response, I was feeling sarcastic and maybe, possibly a tad triggered. I don't know if "Harry" realizes it or not, but his response is what the internet often refers to as "troll"-like behavior. He essentially attacked my intelligence and the ability to discern reality versus fantasy. It's not engaging in discourse of the plot progression or even character development, which is a discussion I have no issues in participating in. 

He then proceeds to state his opinion on character development but then adds another insult about my ability (well, more specifically inability) to understand--apparently since it's against his own opinions.  His response is insulting and rude.

 I could have easily just ignored his ill-mannered responses to me, but I felt compelled to counter and engage. This exchange was small and overall insignificant, but for me, it's an example of the negative and arrogant ways people engage each other most especially on the internet. Opinions are not the same as facts and insulting people just to feel right or superior is a huge reflection on that person. You may think you've "one up" someone, but be assured, pompous intentions are transparent. It's perfectly acceptable to disagree with someone.  It is haughty and disdainful to believe your opinions are the only ones that should exist.

 Don't be a jerk. Choose kindness.


Are you ready for Halloween? The best costumes go fast; get yours today and beat the rush. The Original in Vegas Nightlife Entertainment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment