Monday, June 27, 2022

I'm a Stenopelmatus. Please... DON'T Kill Me!

I've seen these guys in my front and backyard and although I'm not a lover of bugs, I've never caused them harm. Thank goodness. I knew they had a purpose. Now every time I see one, I'll just whisper, "Live your best life, little guys & thanks for all you do." 😊 More than happy to share the following...

Information & picture found on the Permaculture Facebook

Have you seen me in your yard? I'm a Stenopelmatus. Please... DON'T kill me!
I would like to tell you a little about myself. Many people also know me as a potato bug, Jerusalem cricket, Skull Insect, Childface, or Mother of Scorpion. People get scared when they see me and want to kill me. Reality is that I'm running from you.
I'm not a spider nor scorpion nor cricket, and I HAVE NO POISON. 
My only weapon is my mandibles. With them I feed off the organic waste that is found next to garden plants.
We have a very important role in the environment, because we help plants growth, thanks to removing the earth and thus allowing soil oxygenation.
My life span is a year.
If you find me at night, don't kill me. I'm just looking for food and a safe place to hide. Please... DON'T kill me!
With information from Biological Community.
 

gifts for grads 

No comments:

Post a Comment