Saturday, September 5, 2015

Music in Our Life

Music is a natural and living breathing entity in my family's life. I'm not a musician myself but I love listening to my favorite pop songs. And I'm lucky enough to call myself a Musicians' Mom. Both my boys play instruments: My 12 year old is a talented bass player and my 9 year old plays the keyboard.

Here is my 12 year old on vocals and bass helping out at his friend's talent show this past June:


Here is my 9 year old on vocals and keys at his school talent show this past May.


********************************************************************
I'm re-sharing and re-posting.

Here is an entry originally posted on August 21, 2014 (here is the link that sometimes works: Our Summer of of 2014 Music Immersion).

I proudly declare that my boys are musicians—my oldest (now 11 years old) is a bass player & my youngest (now 8 years old) is a keyboardist and percussionist. A little shake-up at their school around 4 years ago prompted the husband & I to make a conscious decision to sign them up with some special music teachers we knew & trusted. Our goal for our boys was not to “become rock stars” or learn music for profit, but simply to be exposed to instruments, music theory, & performance. We heard all the studies about the connections between music & the brain and how learning music assists kids in academics, etc. We believe in all that. We agree with all that. Four years later, we are still part of a community of extraordinary people teaching, learning & appreciating music & the creative arts.
 This summer our boys have focused a majority of their energy into crafting their music talents. They have worked hard—practicing individually & with their groups—all toward the goal of performing in front of an audience. Being able to get up in front of a bunch of people & performing is not easy. I’m glad that we are able to give them the opportunity to do that & we are privileged to see them grow & mature & reap the benefits of having music as a part of their lives. As parents, a large part of our responsibility is to cultivate high self-esteem in our children. Music performance has certainly done that for our boys.

 Fresh off their live performance at a local restaurant/pub, the boys have been given the gift of pride in their accomplishments. They received so many gracious & generous compliments.
 My 11 year old is often praised for his growing skills as a bass player & given added props for being able to sing & play at the same time. Apparently, this is a very difficult feat to accomplish. He admits it’s challenging but has found a process that works best for him. I can see the joy on his face (and trust me, this kid is not big on large displays of emotion) when he’s describing learning a new song & the confidence he exudes when he knows it well enough to perform it. For a child not seeking attention or the limelight, being a musician has given him another facet to his journey into being a more well rounded person. Click to hear my Big Dude perform I Wish by Stevie Wonder.
 My 8 year old has worked harder than ever to improve his skills on the keyboard. There are times I know he has struggled & is very hard on himself (he is my sensitive & emotional child) when he feels he can’t perfect something. Sometimes he just needs to vent his frustration & then he’s at it again. Before I know it, he’s making music come out of those keys. I love how confident he becomes when he knows he’s doing well. And I think it only benefits him to know that even at a young age, he is expected to hold his own & it’s okay to set the bar high for yourself. The results of a successful performance is its own reward.  Click to see my Little Guy practicing It’s Time by Imagine Dragons.


They don’t get a chance to perform together very often since they belong to different jam groups (separated by age & playing ability), but when they do get a chance to team up, I am more than proud. I really do love seeing them up on stage together.  Click to hear I Feel Good performed by the boys.
Not everyone has the same beliefs as we do on the importance of music in life, in education, in the formation of a healthy self-esteem, and simply as a tool of joy, but if you are even a little open to it as a parent, I suggest finding an avenue for your child to be around it— have them take music lessons, music appreciation, or music theory classes. If you live in the Long Beach, CA area, I recommend the group my sons belong to, Da Capo Creative Community. Otherwise, just do some of your own research & find a perfect fit for your own child(ren).
Summer vacation is rapidly coming to a close (less than 2 more weeks for my boys). And I can honestly say, it’s been a wonderful summer of music with the promise of much more to come! I’m excited about their upcoming performances & I’m just truly proud of them–for any & all musical growth they’ve achieved.
Music has definitely benefited my boys & when it all comes down to it, that’s all that matters. ♥
Laga Handbags - Handmade designer handbags

No comments:

Post a Comment