Friday, December 11, 2015

What? Chocolate Tamales. Yup!

I do the bulk of my shopping at my local franchise supermarket. But I make a Trader Joe's run about once a week to pick up novelty food items & seasonal treats. Recently, with my boys and husband in tow, we made our usual run combing through the aisles when my 12-year-old spots "Chocolate Raspberry Tamales".  He grabs it & holds it up for me to see, "What do you think, Mom?"  I say, "Seems weird, but put it in the cart if you're willing to try it". He shrugs his shoulders, puts it in the cart and says, "Ok".  Not normally adventurous with his food choices, I think it's pretty good that he's willing to try it.  When we get to the check stand, the cashier brings attention to the product.
He says, "Chocolate Tamales? Wow. I thought I've seen everything but that may be too much even for me".  We laughed with him, "That's not much of an upsell", I say.  It's all in good fun & both my boys were even more curious to try this apparently unusual product to decide for themselves if they like it or not.  The package comes with four tamales so each one of us could try it.  And try it we did...with 4 slightly different reactions.
Me: I thought it was good. The chocolate had a mild taste and not overpowering.  The chocolate lover in me felt it wasn't chocolaty enough.  As desserts go, I prefer something sweeter since I only allow dessert indulgences so rarely. I want it to impact my sweet tooth & make me "testify!" LOL!
Husband: He loved it! Sang its praises. I even asked him, "Is there anything you didn't like about it?"  He said, "No".  Arguably he's the pickiest eater in the family, so his approval is a big victory for the product. 
12-Year-Old: He liked it.  However, he didn't enjoy a slight "after taste" he detected. He said he felt like his throat felt really dry towards the last bite and he needed water to wash it all down.  But overall, he thought it was good & wouldn't mind eating it again.
10-Year-Old: He was probably the least enthusiastic about this product.  He felt it wasn't sweet enough and he complained that the raspberry and chocolate taste didn't go well together.  He would prefer not to eat it again. And if I was asked to rank, I'd say he's the second pickiest eater in the family. Sorry, Chocolate Raspberry Tamales, you did not get a thumbs up from him.

As you can see, four different taste buds & four different experiences with the Chocolate Raspberry Tamales. Be brave & try it out! You might like it...or you may not....but at least you'll know.

No comments:

Post a Comment