Wednesday, February 10, 2016

It's Lent...My Sacrifice Will Be...

Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent. Time for us Catholics to model the "art of the Ash",  a.k.a. the smudge on our foreheads. :-) I was told my "Ash Art" looks like a dinosaur. LOL! I kind of love that. I'm nicknaming mine DinoAsh! :-D
Ash & you shall receive. :-P LOL! :-D
Lent 2016 has arrived & most Catholics choose to give up or sacrifice something for the next six weeks.  Typically, it's all the things we consider vices in our life, candy for kids, alcohol for adults, etc...The article 10 Things to Fast From This Lent Instead of Chocolate suggests a few others things to give up other than the standard.
  • Screen time & digital devices
  • Negative talk & criticism
  • Hot showers
  • Non-essential shopping
  • Snacking
  • Music & talk radio
  • Shortcuts
  • Scents
  • Art
  • Everything yummy
I asked my immediate family members what they were thinking of giving up:

10-year-old: He likes the idea of giving up non-essential shopping.  I reminded him that includes toys & Lego. He said he knows. Mmmm...we'll see if he commits to this.

12-year-old: He seems to have committed to giving up any & all processed candy. And to make it more of a sacrifice, Valentine's Day is just around the corner & processed sweet temptations are everywhere. Good luck, kiddo!

The Husband: He prefers not to give up things but instead make a pledge to DO something.  He has already started from the beginning of the year, slowly getting rid of at least one unnecessary material possession once-a-day. He is helping with decluttering our home as well as finding ways to give to someone else who may need it more. Win-win. 

And finally, what am I giving up this Lent? Here it goes.... just like my 10-year-old, I'm also going to give up non-essential shopping. I see a Shoe Store? I keep walking.  This can only be a good thing. :-) But overall, just like I always do, I want to participate in more personal reflections. Work on being aware of putting out positivity into the world--be kind, stop thinking the worst of people (this is probably one of the hardest things to do).  And pray.  I want to really pray with a heart full of gratitude--not expecting or asking for anything, but praising.   

And because Lent is full of fasting & meatless Fridays, here's a seafood recipe you can add to your Lenten menu. Side confession: I love seafood, so this part of Lent is not considered a "sacrifice" for me.
Crab Cakes
Ingredients
  • 12 oz crab meat
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp Sriracha sauce
  • 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • ½ cup breadcrumbs, I used Panko
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp olive oil, for frying
 Directions
  1. Add all the ingredients (except the olive oil) to a bowl and gently mix it all together.
  2. Form the crab mixture into patties, depending on how big you want the patties, suggested: 10 patties out of my mixture.
  3. In a skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Place the patties in the skillet, a few at a time, suggested: 5 at a time, and cook until golden brown, about 5 min per side. Gently flip them over and cook for another 5 minutes until golden brown. Repeat with remaining patties. 
  4. Serve
Source: Jo Cooks 

Wishing everyone a great six weeks! Whether you observe Lenten traditions or not, may you have a closer awareness of the meaning of life--especially the joys it offers.  XO
Shop for Authentic Autographed Spider-Man Collectibles at HollywoodMemorabilia.com
CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment