Friday, November 6, 2015

I REALLY Want What Phil's Having!

...and I want to taste everything Phil is tasting and experience everything Phil is experiencing!
This has emerged as one of my favorite shows of the Fall Season and go figure, it's a reality show found on PBS!  It combines pretty much all of my favorite things: traveling, experiencing new things, eating unique and exotic foods, and laughing at witty humor.

So, the premise is pretty simple. The viewer follows writer Phil Rosenthal around as he travels pretty much the world, showing us incredible views of the most famous landmarks on the planet, meeting interesting people, and trying the most amazing creative foods from the most brilliant winning chefs.

He goes to Tokyo in Episode 1 and samples some of the best Sushi and  Ramen there is. He shows us the enormity of the location--comparing it to the hustle and bustle of Manhattan and Los Angeles. He shows us beautiful food and tells us what it all tastes like with the clarity of a true story teller. It looks, sounds and tastes like a feast for the senses, and I took the journey with Phil!

In Episode 2, he goes to Italy and visits with his good friend, Nancy Silverton as she takes him on a tour of her lovely home in a quiet town called Umbria. If not for this show, I would never have even known a town like that exists. There's even Cafe "wars"...Nancy can really only go to one location (you'll have to see the episode to understand why that's so.) The people Phil meets are so passionate about food, including a butcher who treats meat with respect and love. Phil has a heartwarming reunion with old family friends and yes, I got a little teary eyed.

Then he travels to romantic Paris in Episode 3, drinks this fabulous looking hot chocolate (it looked really thick and delicious), eats this gigantic croissant that he groaned with pleasure over, ate some beyond fresh vegetables, and then made me watch him eat this tempting roasted chicken cooked in duck fat that I imagine to be the best tasting chicken anyone could put in their mouth. If I ever make it to Paris, I will hunt down one of these roasted chickens and savor it. Yum!
 Episode 4, finds Phil in Hong Kong. And just like Phil before this trip, I've only seen this city through movies. It looks overpopulated and busy. But Phil breaks it all down & takes us on the best sites and shares his encounters with some fabulous (and maybe not-so-fabulous) food. Phil has the most unique experience with Chinese medicine. I have to say I laughed out loud quite a few times during this episode. And then I really craved some Dim Sum and tea. ☺

 Phil shares his journey to Barcelona, Spain with us in Episode 5. This was a mouth watering journey in search of "the best" the city has to offer--from tapas to jamon. I found myself wanting to reach through the screen & wishing I could taste all the delicious food Phil was having!  I'm not sure how he can eat all that good food and still stay slim. Lucky you, Phil! The architecture he shows us is a feast for the eyes as well. Barcelona, Spain seems to be one very delicious city!


 For Episode 6, Phil features my own backyard-ish...Los Angeles! I love when he says, "The world comes to me!" Because LA truly is a fusion of so many cultures and some really great ethnic foods! In the mood for Mexican, French, Korean, sweets, sandwiches, & more?...LA's got it! And this episode was so heartwarming and feel-good. Phil did a great job showcasing this great city.

I'm sad that this season ended so quickly. I enjoyed every travel destination Phil took us to. And he doesn't know it, but he's a close personal friend of mine now.

Shop for Thousands of 100% Authentic Autographed Marvel Collectibles at HollywoodMemorabilia.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment