Friday, October 21, 2016

Motherhood is a Learning Journey

When the Huz & I decided we were going to be parents, we made a conscious decision to be very involved parents.  We wanted to shower our kids with love, self-worth, confidence & safety--both emotionally & physically.  Along the way, it hasn't always been easy--we've had to clean up some pretty nasty human secretions (aaaah, those lovely younger year memories), we've lost sleep both because we've had to stay up to take care of our kids & because we worry needlessly about things we really can't control.  And we've had some true moments of authentic sheer exhaustion.  Through it all, every moment has been worth it because our boys are thriving--happy, fulfilled, great human beings. And as they continue to mature & make their way into the world, we're going to have to step back and let them. That's what good parenting is all about, teaching your kids not to need you anymore. It hurts a bit, but it also feels just right.

Valuable picture sent to me by a chaperone mom of my kiddo playing volleyball. This was the first day of the Retreat.
This week has been a true test of my sheer will and strength as a mother--sending my 13-year-old, my first-born off on a 5-day retreat miles away, off the grid---no contact! It's been emotional--up & down--happy for him, worried for him, excited for him then missing him. Very much missing him.  And I survived. My Huz has survived (barely) & his younger brother (very bonded to him) also survived.  We missed him SO SO much!! But we love him and want him to experience everything life has to offer.  And he's blessed to have had the awesome opportunity of a powerful spiritual and academic retreat away from everyday life's distractions.
More than ready to welcome him back!
But I'm so so glad to have him home! He has so much to share with us & I want to hear EVERYTHING!
We know they're tired, but we wrangled them for a "Welcome Home" group picture!!

No comments:

Post a Comment