Monday, October 3, 2016

Small Business Spotlight: Captain Vic's Coffee and Ice Cream

If you're going to spend your money anyway, doesn't it feel good to know that you're supporting a small, local business? If you live or are in the Lakewood, CA area (in the county of Los Angeles), I encourage you to stop by the Veteran-owned Captain Vic's Coffee and Ice cream, hitting all those points of interest. Here's a Shop Lakewood produced video giving you some insight on this local business...
  My family and I have definitely contributed our fair share of supporting and enjoying this wonderful shop.
The Huz and I have had coffee dates here. I highly recommend their Afogato and the Pistachio muffin!
My oldest loves the Ice Cream Sandwich---fresh baked cookies separated by any ice cream choice. And my youngest enjoys the Root Beer Float.
They also have fundraisers for local non-profit groups--just gives us added incentive (as if we needed one) to get us some sweet stuff!
Here's some notable Yelp reviews (starting with mine):

 4/30/2015: So, naturally, I had to try their affogato (a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a shot of expresso). It was good,  but I have to warn you, it is pretty strong. I'm fairly confident that I will have Energizer bunny energy all day. The Huz & I shared a Pistachio muffin which was delicious & a pretty shade of green. And in keeping with the "green" theme, the Huz went for a green tea smoothie which he described as "okay" (not sweet). The server/cashier was very friendly. If you're in the area & are looking for a chain coffee place, stop looking & just come here. There's no drive-thru, but there's plenty of parking. Oh, & important to note: this business is open early--6am on weekdays (different from the business hours stated on Yelp).--Maria E. 

8/25/2016: Let's see, coffee and ice cream in the same place . . .   Yes please!  After sampling a few ice cream flavors I picked the cookies n cream for my Affogato.  It was soooo good!!  The ice cream melts slowly into the hot espresso making a one of a kind treat that starts out as lightly sweetened coffee and finishes as a rich ice cream shake in the same cup.  We also split a pistachio muffin, served warm, which was delicious.
Tip:  Try the Affogato!  Espresso with a scoop of ice cream - It's AWESOME!!I found Captain Vic's thru a Groupon which is a great way to find places that you otherwise would never hear of.  I can't wait to go back and pay full price because it's worth it.  But I won't have to because the receipt includes a 10% off coupon for your next visit LOL :)In addition to the great food and drink I want to mention the service.  Both of the young ladies working were super friendly, helpful & patient with my indecisiveness when it comes to picking an ice cream flavor.  Sure it's about the quality of the food but great customer service really adds to the experience.--Tony B. 

9/9/2016: Captain Vic really shivered me timbers. On the corner of Paramount and Carson sits this fun shop that serves coffee, tea, cookies and ice cream. They serve Dreyer's ice cream and you can have anything from a scoop on a cone or a milkshake to a banana split or a genuine A&W root beer float. I had a vanilla latte which I thought was pretty darn good - much better than what you would get at any of the coffee chains. There is plenty of seating both at tables and at counters plus free wifi is offered. As you can probably guess from the name there is a nautical theme going on with the decor here. The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful - the young guy who took my order was a good conversationalist and really made me feel welcome.--Timmy S. 

9/29/2016: Came for our school's 8th grade fundraiser. We came later in the evening before closing and the girl's who were working were both very sweet. They smiled at and greeted each customer even as they were busy with others. The ambiance here is very welcoming and they have awesome outside seating for the warmer nights. Their dessert menu consists of things like cheesecake on a stick and "Affogato" 1 scoop of icecream with espresso shot. If those aren't your style they have smoothies and a full Dreyer's icecream bar to choose from and let's not forget about all the coffee and espresso's. They also a very whimsy display of mermaid and beach merchandise that would make a beach nut go crazy. Perfect for Long Beach. It's minutes away from Long Beach Airport and Lakewood Country Club. Good time even with free wifi.--Babydoll I. 

I hope you get a chance to check this place out.  Let me know if you do.  I'd love to hear your experience. ♥♥♥♥
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment